On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 6:50 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree that it seems interesting to add not only one of the established
> generic surface tags, but to also give a hint that it is a kind of mosaic /
> iconic depiction. Still, I would not call it "artwork" or
> "artwork_type=mosaic" in the case that was referenced above, as it isn't
> "art" (IMHO), similarly as a plaque on a wall is not generally a "painting".
> I'd rather subtype the surface value to something specific like
> paving_stones=portuguese_pavement

That also made sense to me a while back, but I'm a little afraid of
how far this could be pushed with further specific values. A British
wikipedian [1] pointed out a British consultant [2] that cites other
artsy patterns such as the Belgian or the Florentine. Perhaps the
pattern would ideally be represented by an open-set sub-tag such as
paving_style=portuguese/belgian/florentine/european/random/[other
types]. Then for sidewalks we could use sidewalk:[side]:paving_style
likewise.

> In this context, I'd also change the definition of "surface=paving_stones"
> to account for this case. Currently it reads:
> "... The gaps between the paving stones are smaller because the stones have
> a perfectly regular shape (rectangular, or any surface-filling shape)."
> this is not logical, and I believe is not what is intended: the stones don't
> have to "perfectly regular shape[d] (rectangular, or any surface-filling
> shape)". they could just as well be irregularly shaped, what is important is
> that there aren't big gaps, IMHO the above definition could be like this:
> ""... The gaps between individual paving stones are very narrow, either
> because the stones have a perfectly regular shape (rectangular, or any
> surface-filling shape) or because they have been carefully selected, fitted
> and placed in order to form an even, closed surface." (or something
> similar).

That's what makes most sense to me. So for paving stones the important
distinguishing qualities are being flat and having tight gaps, not so
much a regular cut.

Then I think we should also clarify that surface=setts refer only to
certain larger types of setts, with larger gaps between them. [2] And
that cobblestones refers to a pavement made of reasonably large,
natural, rounded stones. [3]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Cobblestone#Cobbles_and_Setts
[2] http://www.pavingexpert.com/setts01.htm
[3]