> ...I've never tried to tag any of that sort of regulatory information, but
> I can imagine that applying it to all the streets in the town would be both
> tedious and unmanageable (the latter because if the town were to change the
> ordinance, it would mean updates to many hundreds of highway segments).

While I agree it is not the perfect solution, we are trying to deal with
similar provisions (default implicit maxspeed by context) through
additional tags which refer to the legislation. E.g. we add explicit
maxspeed tags to roads inside settlements where the maxspeed is implicit
(within the city limit signs), and add source:maxspeed tags (e.g. value
IT:urban in this case) for the unlikely case, that the law changes, so we
can automatically select all ways with this referrer and change their
maxspeed in one go, without needing to care for signedposted maxspeeds with
the same value (because they should have source:maxspeed=sign or maybe
nothing). At least this is the theory, so far we haven't needed it.

Even if your regulations are not national or by the state but only in your
county or township, you could add some additional tag that refers to the
ordinance, so if it changes you can change all those cases in one go.

Cheers,
Martin