> As data consumer I would prefer to have general tags - for example, in my
> data processing I would prefer to have
> spillways mapped as waterway=canal + intermittent=yes rather than
> waterway=spillway.

or maybe waterway:function / waterway:subtype=spillway ? This way the
spillway function is not tied to the waterway size, as it would be with
canal=spillway.
While intermittent=yes is somehow true, I guess spillways aren't the only
reason for a canal to be intermittent.

> Also I would prefer waterway=canal + pressurised=yes + tunnel=* rather
> than waterway=pressurised.

+1 for this, as I can imagine pressurised waterways appearing in any size,
so making pressurised an attribute could make sense.

Cheers,
Martin