> On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 17:45:18 +0100
> François Lacombe <fl.infosrese...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > and ease access of water data with the use of existing waterway key
>
> Can you give example of real data consumer(s) where it will improve
> situation?
>
> From somebody making maps from OSM data - it will make situation worse for
> me,
> not better (even more waterway values to handle).

To get the whole hydrographic system, users have to query waterway,
pipeline and some other keys not all related to water.
If all water paths would have only waterway=*, this would be simpler and
sustainable.
Would you be happy if I remove highway=* from tunnels or bridges just
because it's not "natural" roads?

Not to mention standard osm render doesn't currently render pipelines.
Introducing a new value of waterway, already imported in mapnik schema may
be simpler than adding pipeline and some extra keys.

> As data consumer I would prefer to have general tags - for example, in my
> data processing I would prefer to have
> spillways mapped as waterway=canal + intermittent=yes rather than
> waterway=spillway.

But it's not what an actual canal is !
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Grand_Union_Canal.jpg
How many fake canals are mapped right now just because mappers don't find a
more suitable value ?

> Also I would prefer waterway=canal + pressurised=yes + tunnel=* rather
> than waterway=pressurised.
>
> In general, in OSM data processing where I participate and waterway
> values are used I would prefer to avoid fragmentation of waterway tag
> values.

I find this inconsistent after adding many man_made values (like dams,
weir... not directly referring to water) in waterway key.
I'm proposing to make it more consistent precisely regarding water

> I know that what I am doing is a tiny subset of what can be done with OSM
> but I am curious of what is the source of claims that new scheme will be
> better.

Regarding my particular situation too, i'm a data scientist in an industry
oriented software developper team.
OSM data become more and more valuable for us. It would be a lot more if
words were used according to their actual meaning.
As an individual contributor, i find some keys really messy and spend a
great time trying to improve this.

As said on wiki page, having a new value in an established key is an
opportunity to write a better documentation, stop awkward usage and build
more comprehensive preset handling in editor.
It's not all about the data itself but its collection and ideas exposed to
contributors.

> +1 for this, as I can imagine pressurised waterways appearing in any
size, so making pressurised an attribute could make sense.

Context is more important than size to pressure water.

waterway=canal sounds to be dedicated to open air man made built to divert
water for a particular purpose.
Don't you find waterway=canal + pressurised=yes inconsistent since canal is
open air channel?

Introduce waterway=pressurised prevent its irrelevant use with other
incompatible waterway values.

François