On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 6:49 PM, marc marc <marc_marc_...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I remain convinced that spelling rules have no place in osm tags
> even if it would be convenient.

They are not spelling rules.  And your comment implies that people
shouldn't try to spell names
correctly.  If "spelling rules have no place in OSM tags" then there can be
no objection to mapping
the capital of the UK as "Lundun," etc.  There is every reason to hope that
mappers will spell
names correctly according to the rules of the local language.  So spelling
rules do have a
place in the values of free-form OSM tags such as name=*.

These are, in fact, local typographical conventions.  Almost as important
as local spelling rules.
Hyphenation conventions, for example, can be quite complex.  Even in
English, it would be
undesirable for "Therapist's Lane" to be hyphenated as "The- rapist's Lane."

If they are to be added, the primary tools should first be asked to
> manage them before considering their use. otherwise the slightest search
> on a street name can fail, it's worse than having an incorrect return to
> the line.

I'd be very scathing if there is *any* widely-used OSM tool that does not
handle Unicode
correctly.  It's been over 40 years since 7-bit ASCII could be considered
adequate.  A
couple of decades since operating systems did not handle Unicode as
standard.

There are specifications of how Unicode strings should be compared.
Programming
libraries which follow those specifications shouldn't suffer the problems
you anticipate.
Programming libraries which don't follow Unicode specifications are *broken*
.

You appear not to know that correct Unicode handling is essential for many
languages
where a single glyph may be composed of two or more combining characters.
Without
correct Unicode handling it is impossible to represent names correctly in
those
languages.

The correct course of action is to check that widely-used OSM tools handle
Unicode
correctly (which they should, anyway) and fix them if they do not.

--
Paul