On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Daniel Koć <daniel@koć.pl> wrote:
> When deciding about rendering change of waterway=derelict_canal on
> osm-carto we are not sure what to do, because meaning of the tag is not
> clear for us:
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1003
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Dderelict_canal
>
> What would help us is to know whether it's filled with water, is
> permanently dry or have some intermittent/seasonal pattern.
>
> What do you think is the meaning of this tag and how could this
> definition be improved?

I think that it could be improved by deprecating it.

Use more modern lifecycle tagging.

disused:waterway=canal - could be put back into service,
presumably still holds water.

abandoned:waterway=canal - likely to have siltation,
be intermittent, or be drained - this one may need
additional tags to disambiguate whether it actually
contains water.

demolished:waterway=canal - filled in, but still signs
on the ground

I have a historically significant demolished canal locally;
the route is often overlaid by roads,
footpaths or cycleways and sometimes submerged.
Ruined locks, aqueducts, towpaths are still usually
visible on the ground. The individual sections are tagged
with one of the above if appropriate (some of the
places where the abandoned canal is overlaid with
highways simply are tagged as highways). There's
a route=canal relation that groups the entire set of ways.