On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 5:35 PM, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 6:38 AM, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> You forgot an important condition.  ALL of these changes must take place
>> AT THE SAME
>> TIME.  Not just co-ordination of software, but of every lanes=* tag.
>> SIMULTANEOUSLY.
>> I'd be prepared to let him have a little leeway, like a whole hour to do
>> it in.  Maybe, if he
>> asks very nicely, a day.  Definitely no longer than that.
>>

> Where are you getting this arbitrary rule from?

This "arbitrary rule" is simply common sense.  It is what is necessary in
order to prevent a sub-optimal
mess of conflicting meanings.  Even you know that this is so, although you
do not understand the
implications.  Consider your own words:

> Considering that it's already been wrong for nearly 300,000 ways for years
> now, the only thing that could

happen on this would be improve.

So, of 7 million lanes tags, 300,000 get it wrong.  Which means that
6,700,000 get it right.  And it has been that
way for YEARS.  So with your proposal, we switch from 6,700,000 tags that
are right and 300,000 that are wrong
to 300,000 that are right and 6,700,000 that are wrong.  And you consider
that an improvement???

Oh, but you reject (as an arbitrary rule) any suggestion that we would have
to fix all those broken tags at
the same time as we redefine the meaning, so they would STAY BROKEN for
YEARS.

Do you really not understand why this is not an improvement?

Do you really not understand why motorists want to plan routes around the
number of lanes suitable
for motor vehicles rather than the total number of lanes, not all of which
may be suitable for motor
vehicles?

Do you really not understand that your suggestion has received no support
here?  I know, you're
thinking that you are smarter than the rest of us.  Remember this: "They
laughed at Galileo.
They laughed at Newton.  They laughed at Einstein.  They also laughed at
Koko the Clown."

--
Paul