I responded to "what's wrong with getting rid of these bad choices?"
I see nothing wrong with using landcover=trees.
But in context of this discussion I understood "bad choices" as landuse=forest.
BTW, I am happy to fix some broken tagging - for example I am regularly hunting
downdemolished=yes (for example on buildings), made/make multiple mechanical
editscleaning up tags (yes, it is approved by local community and follows
mechanical edit policy).

But deprecating landuse=forest of redefining lanes tag is not going to happen.