On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:33 AM marc marc <marc_marc_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Le 18. 06. 18 à 17:22, Kevin Kenny a écrit :
> > Would it be feasible to say that building=yes is a default (except,
> > perhaps, for rock_shelter, sun_shelter) and that mappers are expected to
> > place an expected building=no on the exceptions?
>
> please never do that.
> you never known if the mapper have checked the implied value or not.
> and therefore the auto-added tag lost all meaning.

I'm not talking about auto-adding a tag in the editors, but rather
documenting an assumption for data consumers.

We have a number of assumptions already that are
broadly accepted. The routers presume access=private for driveways.
The renderer presumes area=no for closed highway=* ways. The editors
don't auto-add these tags, the renderers and routers simply act
based on the default assumption and the specifically tagged
exceptions.

But I'm not wedded to this idea; if the consensus is that this particular
assumption is too fragile, so be it.