On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 3:31 AM, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the basic tag is trying to show that the surrounding area (usually
> trees) stops around this area. So why not tag the trees as a multipoygon
> and use these tagged clearings are inners? It would render unlike the
> 'clearing' and convey the information.

I'd say your analysis is correct and to go for it.  A multipolygon with
inners describes what is on the ground better and
actually renders.  It also makes it easier for somebody to later come along
and map the inner in more detail (whether
the cleared area is a meadow, or scrub, or whatever).

My guess is that whoever came up with clearing hoped that it would render
as such and, when it didn't, hoped that one
day it would render as such.  So if whoever mapped it ever notices what you
did, they'll learn how to do it right the next
time.

--
Paul