I think people use the ref tag because that makes sense. I'm not a golfer but on allotments the whole site usually has a name and the individual plots have a number (ref=*). The OSM Standard map can't show everything. We used to have a map like that as a sort of 'debug' map for mappers; it was useful but horrible to look at as everything was jammed in and not one to share more widely. Abusing the name tag is a common beginner's mistake, let's not encourage even more use of the name tag - rather make or find a render that shows what you want for a particular purpose.

If RichardF's push towards vector maps bears fruit, displaying specific items for your own needs should become easier. If Richard succeeds, then an OBE should follow his recent award! Well done Richard.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)