Graeme,
If the level 2 admin_boundary is tagged, it wouldn't be strictly necessary
to tag each level 4 (State/Province) boundary if all are the same as the
national level.

Thank you for bringing up Aboriginal / Native American / First Peoples /
Minority Ethnic Group language communities. I would suggest tagging these
boundaries in the same way as admin_level boundaries, if they are
officially defined by the government in some way, as in Canada and Brazil.
So if the local Aboriginal or Indian American or First People's government
has declared that language xx is an official language, it could be marked
as such. If it isn't official but is widely used in place names, names of
POIs and natural features it could also be tagged the same as a de facto
language standard.

In areas like Indonesia where local ethnic communities do not have special
autonomy or protection, they language could be tagged on the admin_level
boundary if appropriate, or on place nodes if the official administration
areas do not correspond to language communities.