On 2018-09-15 15:18, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:

> Re: "A default should not require multiple values! It is the single value to
> be used in the absence of an explicit value. If you think you need multiple
> defaults, see my comment above about different contexts."
>
> The idea is to allow a community to choose 2 languages to be displayed
> together as the default language setting, if so desired. If you check out the
> Multilingual Names wiki page [1], there are places where people choose to
> standardize the default name=* be a combination of two languages or two
> encodings; eg  fr + nl in Brussels, or Arabic + French in Moroco. If this is
> going to be adopted by the folks in Belgium, Morocco etc, there should be the
> choice of specifying two (or 3) languages, to fit with their current
> preference.

How about "name:language_order=fr;nl"? No confusion possible there,
whereas "name:language=fr;nl" would not specify the order, unless you
define the list of languages to be an ordered list, which AFAIK would be
a new concept to OSM.

> I'm not trying to change the way the default name=* tag is used, just trying
> to make it more useful by tagging what language is actually being used in the
> value for the name key. And I suspect there may be more communities that will
> choose this option, to encourage displaying names both in the local langauge
> and in the official or national language.

So your idea is only for multilingual areas? Seems a bit of a waste.
Combine this with "name:language=fr" in Wallonia, "name:language=nl" in
Flanders, "name:language=de" in the Ostkantons, and
"name:language=fr;nl" in Brussels?

Is it intended to be only for street names? If so,
highway:name:language=* might be required to make that clear. Or does
everything that can have a name need to fit in with this?

Links:
------
[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names