Am 28.09.2018 um 03:06 schrieb Dave Swarthout:
@Joseph - I wanted to avoid using that particular top-level tag, waterway, because there would be no simple way to add a name different from that of the waterway=river itself. Unless we invent a new tag something like name:bend=Harper Bend.

The key "natural" is so weighted with controversy already, I'd prefer not to use that one either. But I'm not opposed if we can all agree on its use here.