It is not the better thing to say " we can't control the tagging of an item
so we can map it".  Why we can't control them? Can we control the trees you
have on the map? Can we control the street lamps of the map?...so we can
control EVERYTHING on the map and its orientation (of course with the
correct technology now we have, like Mapillary's and others). Traffic signs
informs you about something specific of the way, example, the end of the
cycle way, so you can see where the traffic sign is correct to put on.

Also it is not the best call "undersigns" . There are signs too, with their
code, and you can put in on second place or third place , like
traffic_sign:2 as Finnish people does. And as you say second position
traffic sign will be so important as the first position is.

It is difficult to have two traffic signs in both directions with the same
meaning so you don't need traffic_sign:2:direction. If you need so you can
put a node next to or above or beside to the other with all that other
directions' info

Also don't forget the tag side=  and all of their values

yopaseopor