On Friday, October 5, 2018, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't know how many of the 3500 worldwide are actually
> communications_towers bu that definition, but I'd guess not more than a
> dozen or 2?

There are already more than a dozen in the small country of Switzerland.

> I'd like to suggest that we deprecate that tag, settle on the engineering
> definition given to differentiate between masts & towers:
>
> "In structural engineering, *mast* is a vertical structure, supported by
> external guys and anchors.
> This is the only existing definite feature that could be used to
> differentiate masts and towers."
>
> & start cleaning things up.
>
> Your thoughts?

If this is the only common differentiation between masts and towers, then i
don't disagree using it.

However i'm wondering how many radio masts/towers have been tagged
according to the distinction latter outside vs steps/lift inside.

Besides, for people like me that are really bad at estimating height, but
still want to differentiate small mobile phone 'towers' like [1] from big
TV towers like [2], i think it would make sense to use a tag like
tower:access=inside/outside.

[1]:
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mobile_Phone_Mast_near_Gore_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1703520.jpg
[2]: