On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 9:40 PM Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25/10/18 02:52, Paul Allen wrote:
>
> An alternative ... just use the diplomatic key alone.

I could live with that.  I think.  I have a vague feeling of unease about
it, for some reason I can't put
my finger on.  Maybe because it's an adjective and I think of keys as being
nouns.  Problem is,
diplomat=embassy would be silly.

I'm not happy with service:*=* acting as distinctions as service is used
elsewhere for other things.
It complicates editors as they have to do selective matching to figure out
which particular
service:* tags to offer up with a particular main tag.

Humm the 'sells' tag has the same problem.

That doesn't mean we should compound the error.  Each time something like
sells is used
the editor has to have special-case code to handle it properly.  Or it just
offers every possible sells=*
even when most are inappropriate in that context, which leads to errors and
confusion.

Free form entry is a reasonable way around this .. at least until some use
> has been made of it to see what is 'frequent' in use.

AKA "I wish we'd thought this through properly back in the beginning
instead of ending up with a mix of
incompatible tagging methods because people invent random stuff."  That's
how we ended up with
amenity=embassy...

--
Paul