I'm not suggesting tagging "gay friendly" which is too
subjective, and, due to PR, might be less informative now.

On 24/10/2018 23:10, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
When going on holidays & checking accommodation / travel guides for options, you often see a number of hotels / motels which are listed as "gay friendly". Does this mean only gays stay there / a majority of guests are straight but gays are also welcome or what?

"gay friendly" is supposed to mean that the other guests are less likely to be openly homophobic, that the staff are not going to have a problem with LGB¹ people,

You might say "Pfft, but that's everywhere! It's 2018". Things are better in many places yes, but we're not 100% there yet. I recommend the talk "All the little things", by Irish drag queen Panti ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIhsv18lrqY ), which opens with: "I am 45 years old and I have never once unselfconsciously held hands with a lover in public.

To me, with a young family, it's always meant that we're not staying at that place!

Are you sure all your kids are cisgendered & heterosexual? 😉 A noisy dance club might not be great for 5 y.o.'s, but a restaurant? I'd think that's fine. I think looking at the type of venue (guest house or night club) is probably more informative than does or doesn't say "gay friendly".

On 25/10/2018 09:31, OSMDoudou wrote:
> So, a question may be what are services or infrastructure specific to
> these bars that are not found elsewhere (or not so frequently found
> elsewhere).

"LGBTQ bars" might not technically offer much different from boring cishet bars, but "LGBTQ bar" is definitely a different category of bar, and is nearly always clear cut and unambiguous.

--

Rory

¹ There's no guarantee that "gay friendly" places are totally trans/queer/etc accepting