Yes, it is silly and oxymoronic, but so are "non-papers" (a paper that
is not a paper), something we diplomats use pretty often.

The problem with calling AIT and TECRO embassies has naught to do with
my status as a U.S. diplomat.  It is that they are not embassies in
terms of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, and that's the
ultimate authority.  I raised this whole issue because a consulate is
not an embassy; having opened that can of worms it is illogical to
correct that error only to insert another.  If you prefer "other" to
Wikipedia's "non-diplomatic" I can probably live with that.  I cannot,
however, agree with calling AIT, TECRO, the Taliban office in Doha, or
for that matter the State of Virginia office in New Delhi "embassies".
They would be "other" and not "embassy" simply because they are not
embassies.  They do not enjoy diplomatic immunities or diplomatic status
under the VCDR, any more than consulates do.  Now excuse me for a few
minutes, please, as I have a non-paper to read.

BTW even though the United States does not recognize Palestine, I mapped
the Palestinian Embassy in Ashgabat as soon as it opened because in the
OSM domain calling it an embassy falls under OSM rules, not U.S.
government rules.  Turkmenistan recognizes Palestine and grants its
"embassy" that status under the VCDR.  I mapped it as a private citizen,
not as an officer of the United States, and my mapping does not reflect
U.S. government policy in any way, shape, or form.