If it’s 40 storeys of apartments above a 3 storey mall, use landuse=retail
for the whole mall area, and building=apartment for the residential towers.
The whole, larger mall building could probably be building=mall; it sounds
like there are several tall but narrow residential towers around or on top
of a bigger mall.

Basically, retail is the most interesting landuse. Consider that Google
shows very few areas on its maps, but it does highlight retail areas as
“areas of interest”, because they contain the shops and restaurants that
people are most likely to want to search for.

You only look for a new job or residence very occasionally, but most of us
like to eat out and shop once a week or more (even in poor countries like
here in Indonesia).

Commercial areas are less important but are still more likely to be
destinations of trips, compared to residential and industrial.

I initially disliked the idea of only tagging retail landuse for mixed-use
urban centers, but it makes sense based on the need to tag one feature on
one area, and the limited options for rendering maps with overlapping
landuse.