Kevin,

Okay, I see understand the offset now and the reasons for doing it but wow,
such attention to detail is unusual in OSM mapping methinks. It was clever
indeed. I just began to use QGIS but I'm a complete noobie at it. My only
use of it so far has been to select and save into its own folder a single
shapefile (for a national Park or National Wildlife Refuge) from a monster
master file containing many individual shapefiles and even that took some
searching on Youtube before I could  pull it off. That is one powerful
program and learning how to use it isn't for the fainthearted. I love the
Adirondacks region and fear that at my age and physical remove (Alaska for
summers, Thailand winters) I'll never get a chance to hike there again. I'm
glad you are working to map that wonderful wilderness area.

Gosh, it seems I'll never run out of questions. Here's yet another.

Someone added the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to OSM but did not add a
bunch of inner areas that aren't part of the refuge. I have the inners in a
shapefile that end up in a separate layer when I import them into JOSM. I
would like to add those inners to the existing boundary of the refuge. How
can I transfer those inners from the shape layer to my data layer?

I've tried everything I can think of, including the special paste function
inside the Relation Toolbox I learned about recently, but cannot get them
to transfer *en masse*. I can copy and paste them one at a time but there
are a few dozen tiny parcels. I also tried pasting them in place and then
using JOSM's Search function to select "type:way untagged new" and that
worked but it's clumsy.
There must be a better way to do this.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

--