I went ahead and did it the way I described in my last post. Clumsy but it
worked. I've been busy conflating coastline and riverbanks with the
boundary, throwing away thousands of unnecessary nodes in the process. I
like cleaning house like that but it's a ton of work that most people don't
do.

I like your ideas, Kevin, and will try them when I do my next big addition.
Removing the outer ring is a clever approach. I have separated all the
National Wildlife Refuge shapefiles into their own folders so it's no
biggie if I "wreck" one to isolate the inners. I selected my inners after
doing the Paste at Source Location step by searching in JOSM for "type:way
untagged new" as I described earlier but I did not unselect the nodes as
you recommend. Is that necessary and if so, why?

I tried another thing in my experimenting with those selections. There is a
button in the middle panel of Relation Editor that Selects objects. It's
the second from the bottom and the mouseover hint says:  "Select objects
for selected relation members".  In the leftmost panel I selected all the
inners from the shapefile relation in the shapefile layer (click on
topmost, [Shift] click on the last), clicked that button which moved them
to the right-hand pane and when I exited the Relation Editor those objects
appeared in JOSM's "Selection" panel. I cannot remember now if I was able
to copy and use them in my data layer but that button is interesting. Do
you or anyone else know how to use it?

Dave

PS: I live in fear of "losing the selection" LOL. Every time I tried to
transfer these blasted inners I lost the selection, which is why I resorted
to the JOSM search.

--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska