Am 05.01.2019 um 20:57 schrieb Peter Elderson:
I can see your argument.

First question: what's the harm in combining highway=trailhead and tourism=information? Note: I'm not asking this defensively or to advocate it, just want to understand where the problem lies.

First of all I think this mixes two distinct features into one as I described before: 1) the actual trail access, i. e. a point on the trail or a highway section leading to it and 2) the information infrastructure (information board, stele, you name it).