On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 at 23:28, Eugene Podshivalov <yauge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The confusion is mainly in the difference between irrigation canals vs
> irrigation ditches and drainage diches vs drains.
>
> In practice wide irrigation channels are called canals whereas small ones
> are called diches and people tend to tag them as such.
> This tendency is enforced by the fact that canals and diches are rendered
> in difference size.
> IMO there is no problem here, we should just document this usage properly.
>
> Drainage diches and drains are confused simply because of their identical
> definition on the waterway wiki page
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway
> drain - An artificial free flow waterway used for carrying superfluous
> water like storm water...
> ditch - An small artificial free flow waterway used for carrying
> superfluous water along paths or roads for drainage purposes

So, would we all be happy with redoing the various wiki pages along these
lines:

=canal:
current: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>=
canal for man-made *open flow* (free flow vs pipe flow) waterways
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways> used to carry useful water
for transportation, hydro-power generation or irrigation purposes.

suggested: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>=
canal for large man-made *open flow* (free flow vs pipe flow) waterways
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways> used to carry useful water,
usually for transportation, but also for hydro-power generation or
irrigation purposes

=drain
current: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>=
drain for artificial waterways
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways>, typically lined with
concrete or similar, used to carry superfluous water like storm water or
grey-discharge.

suggested: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>=
drain for artificial waterways
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways>, typically lined with
concrete or similar, usually used to carry water for drainage or irrigation
purposes.

=ditch
current: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>=
ditch for simple narrow artificial waterways
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways> used to drain nearby land,
to remove storm-water or similar. Ditches are usually straight (as opposed
to natural streams). They may contain little water or even be dry most of
the year – to mark this intermittent
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:intermittent>=yes may be used.

suggested: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>=
ditch for simple narrow artificial waterways
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways>, typically unlined,
usually used
to remove storm-water or similar from nearby land. Ditches are usually
straight (as opposed to natural streams). They may contain little water or
even be dry most of the year – to mark this intermittent
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:intermittent>=yes may be used.

New category
=channel
Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>=channel for
small man-made *open flow* waterways
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways> used to carry useful water,
usually for irrigation purposes. Channels are usually straight, but can be
either lined or unlined.

Would something like that clarify matters?

Thanks

Graeme