On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 at 11:05, Axelos <axe...@broman.fr> wrote:

[footpath/bridleway fingerposts]

> I have already seen this type of symbols, but never added in OpenStreetMap.

There's no defined tag for them (or I can't find it).  Which makes adding
them to OSM
difficult.

Always on destination=*, there is the alternative relation that offers ideas
> (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:destination_sign#Tags and
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Destination_details#destination:symbol
> ).
>
> Maybe to be inspired?

Sadly, neither of them work for footpaths/bridleways.  Nor for the other
problem I posed, that
of fingerposts with multiple arms in different directions.

The destination relation isn't a standalone, but has to be part of a route
(if I understand
the page correctly).  The fingerposts with multiple arms I'm thinking of
indicate that the
library is in one direction, the swimming pool another and the tourist
information centre
another.  They're not (necessarily) on a bus/cycle/hiking/walking route,
they're just
telling tourists the direction to certain POIs.  If you have OSM you don't
need the signs
to find those POIs, but knowing the location of such a sign helps confirm
your position
when GPS isn't getting a lock.

The icons for destination signs are interesting, but not really
applicable.  Because the
walking man icon or horse icon on the fingerpost isn't a destination.  The
hospital icon
shows "This way to the hospital."  The walking man says "this is a
footpath."  Again, with
OSM you already know it's a footpath, but the presence of the sign confirms
your position
or tells you that you should be looking for such a sign.  Quite often there
are two adjacent
gets or two adjacent tracks and the presence of the sign tells you which
one to use.

It seems to me that it's useful to map these fingerposts but that we don't
yet have a way
of doing it.

--
Paul