Am 14.02.2019 um 23:32 schrieb Tobias Zwick:
Agreed. I don't see much of a difference between residential and higher
class roads. I would even argue that around here a sidewalk=no + foot=no
is even less likely on higher class roads than on residentials.
How so?

Think of all the residential roads in cities that get a higher class tagging because of their function in the road network. They are mostly not different from hw=residential in regards to foot=y/n. And also the many roads outside built-up areas have mostly no restrictions. Roads with separate foot/cycle ways or with sidewalks are the clear minority and still are often the only means of traveling by foot. The majority of unclassified, tertiary etc. roads is very unlikely to have a foot limitation.

I have the impression, we (all) have different kinds of road in
mind, when arguing whether or not an explicit foot=yes/no is reasonable
or not.
I have these kind of road (sections) in mind that I already mentioned:
underpasses, tunnels, bridges, but also (large) intersections,
roundabouts, links between roads and any other occurances where in OSM,
multiple ways are drawn even though in reality, it is just one road.
So, what kind of roads do you have in mind?

I see the problem for those roads and that's why I repeatedly suggested to find a narrower filter that indicates a likelihood to be foot=no, like tunnel=yes, bridge=yes or oneway=yes. I don't see the highway tag as a suitable filter at all.

Tobias