In the United States, the rules aren't quite as permissive (for
example, authorities are allowed to forbid foot traffic), but in
practice, I'm not aware of a single case where a residential street
actually prohibits foot traffic.  (I'm aware of one near me that's
*tagged* as such, but I think it's a double tagging error: it's not a
residential street, and the user who tagged it misinterpreted a "don't
cross" sign at the intersection as "foot traffic prohibited".)

If you want to make this useful in the US, limit it to the situations
where foot traffic is likely to be prohibited: things like bridges,
tunnels, cuttings, and embankments.

--
Mark