On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 12:45, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The wiki has no units for depth, I would suggest these be the same as
> height.

Makes sense - default as m's, but can be marked as ft depending on local
standards

> There are also problems with estimation and variability.
>
> Some are using the tilde mark '~' to indicate 'approximately'.
>
> Some are using '-' for between eg depth=0.5-0.7 for between 0.5 and 0.7.
>
> Any opposition or better ideas???

Not opposition, but for tidal areas, isn't this going to have the same
problems of whether you mark the "coastline" at the high- or low-tide line?

You'd probably need something along the lines of
Average_low-tide=0.8
Average_high-tide=1.9

Thanks

Graeme