On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 5:19 AM Tony Shield <tony.shield...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Quite right. For OSM purposes I suggest depth in metres, if water is
> tidal=yes also tidal_range in metres.
>
> I can't think of any reason to try to replicate nautical charts and tide
> tables. And when planning navigation I do not consider not using formal
> navigation charts and tables specific to that purpose.

More casual use cases for small craft might benefit from this, as small
craft *very rarely* carry the official charts (they're expensive and they'd
get ruined rather easily).  Depth is less of a concern for these since
often this kind of craft is often designed to be casually (and gently) run
aground on a river or lake beach anyway (and is a common thing to do at
Sauvie Island since it's the only way to take a boat to the beach instead
of fighting for a parking space and still get out of the (usable part of
the) shipping channel on that part of the Columbia River.  But even chart
that superficially maps the major features (where the water is, where the
markers are, where the rocks that protrude out or visibly close to the
surface are, etc).