I was considering making a proposal for natural=mountain_range, but
this tag is already in use over 603 times by over 84 different mappers
(for the nodes and ways; I didn't download relations). So I've made a
wiki page to describe the current use.

But if there are people who would prefer I make a proposal page and
redirect to that, I can do this instead.

I've tried to recommend mapping as a node in most cases, or a linear
way when this can be done a reasonable way, by following natural=ridge
lines to connect the main natural=peak and natural=saddle points of
the mountain range. This only works for small mountain ranges, not
huge massifs or long ranges with multiple smaller ranges within.

The new wiki page discourages mapping mountain ranges as areas (closed
ways or multipolygon relations) because the shape and size of these
are not consistent between different mappers. It's usually quite
debatable which valleys and foothills to include in a mountain range.
Unfortunately there are a growing number of natural=mountain_range
mapped as areas.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dmountain_range