Am Mo., 20. Mai 2019 um 07:53 Uhr schrieb Nick Bolten <nbol...@gmail.com>:

> Hello everyone, this is a late addition to this thread (I'll start a new
> one soon after I improve the proposal page), but I want to give an example
> of a crossing that has lights but no markings that is traversed by
> (guessing) thousands of people per day:
> https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=0fa511ff-b1e5-4011-b16c-d96c0c4ce8a5&cp=47.611664~-122.336542&lvl=19&dir=251.4678&pi=-22.174986&style=x&mo=z.0&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027.
> Despite having a lot of interesting art, there is no way to distinguish the
> crossing location from non-crossing locations via markings on the ground.
>
> This is topical, as crossing=traffic_signals is often claimed to imply
> crossing=marked.

It is very common to see markings at traffic signal controlled crossings,
but I would not see them as a requirement, and I do not think it is written
anywhere that it should be. From my understanding, it seemed not
interesting for most mappers to distinguish traffic light controlled
markings from unmarked ones, and you will likely have a hard time to
convince them (as this thread shows) to retag all crossings just because
there may be exceptions or situations where it may be relevant.

In your example it could even be interpreted as if there were some kind of
"markings" (different paving, designated pedestrian waiting area), but
moving forward, the next crossing does not, so we can safely assume it is a
situation that actually occurs.

I would suggest to tag the exception, i.e. the absence of crossing markings
where there is a pedestrian traffic light controlled crossing, with an
additional property for the crossing node.

Cheers,
Martin