You make good points. Creating tools for editing OSM is a bit of a
nightmare already (we've had many students try and fail) before having to
grapple with tag decisions.

Here's what you have to do when figuring out how to implement most tags
beyond the few "easy" ones like highway=primary:

- Visit the wiki (you need to know about the wiki being there place to go).
Hope there's an entry (there might not be).

- Attempt to interpret the meaning of an almost certainly underspecified
schema.

- Look at some examples of it in use, hope they are representative.

- If you're so inclined, contact this list. Receive strong opinions (at
best) incompatible not just with one another, but the wiki and the use
cases found.

- Make people angry with your decision.

Each of these steps could be improved by having better systems in place for
communication and specification. For example: have wiki editing action
items at the end of most discussions