On 5/24/2019 4:28 PM, Jmapb wrote:

On 5/24/2019 4:10 PM, Paul Allen wrote:

        Have you ever seen a crossing with lights AND zebra stripes?

    This is a very popular situation in Poland.

I knew there'd be at least one.  :)

It's common in the USA too.

OK, so let me ask this.  Do zebra stripes on their own have any legal
significance?  Can
you have zebra stripes without lights or are they only ever present
with lights?

In *my* experience in the USA, stripes are basically there to give
drivers a visual clue to look out for pedestrians and not to block the
crosswalk, and thus to inform crossing pedestrians where on the
pavement is safest. Of course these marking and the relevant laws are
decided on a local level, so officially there may be many differing
legal meanings to the stripes.

Just to be clear -- zebra stripes occur at both with stop signs and with
traffic lights. At a stop sign, pedestrians always have right of way. At
traffic lights, pedestrians only have the right of way when obeying the
lights.

In some localities zebra stripes may also be used for pedestrian
crossings that are specifically signed on the roadway to let drivers
know that pedestrians have the right of way at all times.

But unstriped crossings are also used in all of these very same
scenarios! So the stripes themselves have no universal legal meaning on
their own.

(I'm not aware of anywhere in the USA where there are stripes without
traffic signs/signals. I'm sure this exists somewhere but if I saw it
I'd think that a sign was missing.)