On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 11:28, Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 25 June 2019, Colin Smale wrote:
> > On 2019-06-25 11:33, John Sturdy wrote:
> >
> > > For the "socket" key: I suggest putting the current rating onto the
> cee_blue sockets (cee_blue_16a, cee_blue_32a, etc) rather than limiting it
> to one rating; this will also make it consistent with the cee_red_* sockets.

This is better done with socket:type:current, which is already documented.

> Not to forget that the rating is a maximum for safety, related to the
> > construction of the sockets. There is no guarantee you can actually get
> > 16A/32A (without tripping something) as the distribution network is
> > likely to be over-committed, isn't it
>
> Typically campsites limit the current to 5 or 10A. Our favourite French
> site fits the  circuit breaker for the current  you have paid for.

A fair point.  The connector designation is not about the current you get
but the physical
diameter of the contacts and thus the maximum current it is rated for.  A
16A connector
has 5mm pins (6mm for earth pin) and a 32A connector has 6mm pins (8mm for
earth pin).
The pins for 16A and 32A versions are on circles of different diameters.
You can't physically stick a
16A CEE 17 blue plug into a 32A CEE 17 blue socket.  Specifying CEE 17 blue
without specifying
the rated current may result in some disappointments.  Specifying the
available current would
also be useful.

I've just had a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60309 and it
turns out that "blue" doesn't
even mean what we think it means.

"Blue" doesn't mean single phase.  You can get 3-phase + earth and 3-phase
+ neutral + earth
variants.

"Blue" doesn't mean 200-250 VAC.  The 3-phase + neutral + earth variant is
used for both
120-144 VAC and 208-250 VAC.

--
Paul