> I am trying to make lit=yes/no definition more precise

I think that your suggestions would make the definition actually less precise
because they add a fair level of subjectiveness: "necessary to bring your own
light"

The least subjective definition is to map the physical presence of street
lanterns on the way, not the light they emit. (This definition (though) would
mean that a footway close to a lit street would be mapped as unlit as long as
it does not have own lanterns.)

Tobias