sent from a phone

> On 6. Jul 2019, at 12:35, Colin Smale <colin.sm...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> Instead of creating artificial boundaries quantising shades of grey into
> black and white, why not make it more objective and record the light level in
> lux on the centre line of the road? Or would it be better to do that on the
> footpath? That would complicate matters because the two sides of the road may
> differ.

how would you do this? Usually street lighting is not very homogeneous,
especially on footways (where the information is most interesting, because
vehicles bring their own lights anyway), you can only measure the amount of
light at a single spot, but you will surely get very different measurements
according to the exact location you choose.

My criterion for pedestrian spaces lit or not would be: can you see dog poo, or
a hole in the ground? If not it is not (sufficiently) lit.

Cheers, Martin