We should discuss this at Github to get other ideas and opinions. In
particular, please make a well-reasoned argument for why we need to
supposed boundaries tagged on closed ways at #3785 - try to be concise and
objective.

I think it may be difficult to get protect_class=21 rendered, unless the
tag is more precisely defined. While you are using this tag specifically
for recreation related protected areas, the current wiki page says that it
can be used for

“*Community life:* religious, sacred areas, associative locations,
recreation”

These should not be rendered in the same color as natural protected areas,
and the difference between religious area and recreation is very large, so
I think these would need different tagging and rendering differently.

1) make a proposal to redefine the meaning of protected class = 21 to mean
recreation only, then we might be able to render it if others use the tag
frequently

However, this would not match the IUCN classes that were originally used.

2) make a proposal for a new protect_class - maybe 28 - specifically for
recreation areas, such as National Recreation areas and some State parks

This would make a clearly defined tag without changing the existing meaning
of protect_class=21

3) create a new tag, eg
a) boundary=recreation_area
b) boundary=state_park

boundary=recreation_area or so something similar could be used for any
protected area without requiring the use of multiple tags, and has the
benefit of using plain English rather that a random number (I never can
remember those), but it would be important to clarify the difference
between this and leisure=recreation_ground and leisure=park.

boundary=state_park would be really easy to use for any state or
provincial-level Park, and would work like boundary=national_park. Mappers
could tag any State of Provincial park just based on the title. But you
would still need to use other tags like protect_class to distinguish the
type of protection, if that really matters.

-Joseph