sent from a phone

> On 28. Jul 2019, at 10:03, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> But "obsolete" is only used 6 times, and seems to mean the same thing
> as "deprecated". Perhaps we can just edit these 6 features and remove
> the status to simplify things?
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Tag_descriptions_with_status_%22obsolete%22

+1, the differences seem minor, probably not worth the fragmentation

> Also, I've also only been able to find one wiki page with
> status=discardable - Tag:odbl=clean - so I think we can just change
> this tag status to "deprecated" and remove the special status for this
> one tag?
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Tag_descriptions_with_status_%22discardable%22

here I see more profound differences in meaning: a discardable tag is
completely useless (currently) and you should remove it when you are touching
such an object. Deprecated tags on the other hand are just an alternative way
to say something (they might have problems, eg ambiguity as in landuse=farm),
but the tag has some meaning (should not be removed from an object without
verifying there are other tags that convey the meaning).

> Re: when to mark a tag as deprecated:
>
> Ideally there should be a proposal approved which clearly states that
> a certain tag will be deprecated and another tag approved, but there
> appear to be a number of tags that are marked as "deprecated" due to
> some discussion but not a full vote.
>
> In other cases it appears that deprecation was intended (eg
> amenity=embassy), but the tag is still commonly used and supported
> since the proposal was just approved.
>
> Perhaps there should be a wiki page created that described the process
> for deprecating a tag and when to change the status?

I guess there may be different opinions how and when a tag becomes deprecated,
a wiki page would help to gather information and consolidate on an agreed
meaning/process.

Cheers Martin