I think Christoph brings up a very good point.

If I understand correctly, he wasn't accusing the new page of saying
"this is the right way to use statuses", since it just describes and
explains how the current "status" feature is currently used.

But rather, he was saying that by just describing the current way that
the wiki is used, it perpetuates the current system that is
systemically tilted toward English-speaking, privileged Westerners
such as ourselves.

While in theory anyone can edit the wiki or join the Tagging group,
there are in practice only a few hundred people who do either, out of
the many thousands of mappers and many millions of users, and those of
use who contribute here and on the wiki are mainly Europeans (plus
their old colonialists from America, Australia etc) who read and write
English fluently.

I live in Papua, Indonesia, but I'm well aware that my background and
preconceptions and values are very different those of most Papuans and
other Indonesians.

Christoph, do you have any ideas about how we could be more inclusive
and make it easier for mappers from other countries to create and
document new tags?

I hoped that by better defining the "de facto" status and defining a
clear way that a tag can be promoted to this value (which currently is
honored with a green highlighting, just like "approved"), there could
be an objective and fair way for "in use" tags to be added to Map
Features without going through the Proposal process.

This would allow, say, and Indonesian mapper to start using
"amenity=motorcycle_taxi" for Ojek stands
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_taxi) or even "amenity=ojek"
- and if the gained enough popularity and met the criteria it could be
given status=defacto and added to Map Features without having a
proposal.

I'd say this should happen even when the tag isn't really in British
English, if it's been organically accepted by mappers - for example,
we use amenity=bureau_de_change instead of amenity=currency_exchange
or =money_changer

But I also see a benefit to not allowing just any tag to be added to
Map Features without discussion, especially if they are not commonly
used, don't have a clear definition, aren't verifiable by ordinary
mappers, etc.

Joseph