Thanks, that makes sense now. Should probably be deprecated then, not
obsolete since there are some uses.

But then I checked the other values of denotation=, eg
denotation=urban, denotation=avenue, =landmark, =natural_monument.
Boy, that's a mess. The whole key was poorly thought out.

It looks like many mappers don't realize that database users can find
natural=tree within landuse=residential/commercial/retail to find
urban trees, or within leisure=park for park trees, or search within
10 m of a highway, etc.

I've added some comments about the necessity and verifiability of
these tags (landmark and natural_monument seem to be subjective
opinions about the importance of a tree, unless in some places there
are official landmark or monument trees, but this isn't possible to
tell).

Joseph