1) Landuse=meadow has been used for pastures for a very long time, and
the wiki page and definition make it clear that this is fine.
Previously landuse=pasture was proposed, but rejected since it's quite
similar and in many places it can be hard to distinguish hay meadow
from grazing pasture during most of the year.

2) Ok, I agree that probably paddocks / pens / corrals which are bare
soil or another non-vegetated surface should be included in
landuse=farmyard. However, if an area used for horses is
grass-covered, I don't see how most mappers could distinguish it from
a pasture or meadow, so landuse=meadow would work.