*I wish to amend the Wiki to explain that destination_sign relations can
also be used for pedestrian and indoor routing, not just at "crossroads".
Does that require opening a discussion in the discussion page, or may I
just go ahead ?*

I think you're reading too much into the single word "crossroads" in the
introduction. Perhaps the simplest solution is simply to add an explanation
along these lines:

"A crossroads for purposes of this tag is the intersection of two or more
highways, including pedestrian ways, cycleways, etc."

Although personally I think that's already implied.