I've started a new proposal for Key:aerodrome.

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Key:aerodrome

This proposal uses aerodrome=* for classification of an
aeroway=aerodrome as an international airport, other commercial
airport, general aviation aerodrome, private aerodrome, or airstrip.

It would deprecate aeroway=airstrip and aerodrome:type=*

Values to be approved:
* aerodrome=international         - already common
* aerodrome=commercial          - new tag
* aerodrome=general_aviation  - new tag (default type)
* aerodrome=private                  - already common
* aerodrome=airstrip

Currently the IATA code is quite helpful for finding commercial
airports which offer scheduled passenger flights, but a few aerodromes
with an IATA code do not have commercial flights.

It would be helpful to know which airports have international flights,
and the tag aerodrome=international has already been used over 1000
times.

aerodrome=airstrip is better than aeroway=airstrip, because an
airstrip is still a type of aerodrome.

aerodrome=private is already widely used, but I'm also recommending
adding access=*

Comments? I still need to add some examples.

- Joseph Eisenberg