On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 at 18:48, Bob Kerr via Tagging <
tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

I did consider using the toilet tag, unfortunately there is no toilet and
> it would give the area a feeling of respectability. If it is piled high
> with plastic bags, assorted rubbish and human piss and shit then it is more
> a sign that they need a toilet. It would definitely need a different
> symbol. I was thinking of a squatting man symbol

True.  I'd hate to go to what the map led me to believe was a public toilet
and find it was
actually one of these things.

>  Maybe “landuse=open_defecation_area” would be more appropriate but that
> may interfere with other land use tags.

Not really a problem.  Turn the existing landuse=whatever into the outer of
a multipolygon
and add landuse=open_defecation_area as an inner of the multipolygon.  It's
not that hard
to do, especially as iD has made it a lot easier to cut and paste tags
between objects.

--
Paul