Thanks for all the comments.

SomeoneElse wrote on the proposal talk page: The page currently uses both
"handicap" and "disabled"; I'd suggest using "disabled" throughout (see
e.g. https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge ) as that's the terminology used
in UK versions of English. I'm not exactly sure what a "handicap_van" is,
but I'm guessing that the nearest UK English term might be "wheelchair
accessible vehicle". SomeoneElse
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:SomeoneElse> (talk
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User_talk:SomeoneElse>) 00:30, 25
October 2019 (UTC)

I agree. I should have used disabled. I'll revise the proposal to
substitute disabled for handicap. Wheelchair_accessible_vehicle is somewhat
long, I'd like to propose substituting accessIble_van instead.

Warin and Sebastian - Yes adding width is helpful, but providing data
consumers with specific places for parking, which already exist along with
pedestrian routing, especially for those with limited mobility is
strengthened by having dedicated tags for footways designed especially for
wheelchair users to access cars and vans.

marc wrote -
in the propal section, you said "access_aisle=handicap"
but them "add access_aisle=handicap_van"
handicap_van is not an handicap. it's the véhicule the user leave/reach.
I see two types of access_aisles, the first is an area next to a handicap
parking space. It's wide enough for a person with limited mobility to get
into an out of their vehicle. The other is specifically designed for van
equipped with a ramp for wheelchairs. A van with a ramp is limited to just
spaces specifically designed for vans while the regular handicap parking
can use either.
in the tagging section, you said
"footway=disabled_access_aisle" : what's the added value to glue and
duplicate wheelchair into another key=value ? wheelchair=yes already
exist to describe that this way is usable for a wheelchair user.
you also said  "If the disabled parking space is for vans add
disabled_access_aisle=van"
to witch object ? to the amenity=parking_space i hope.
if so, I'm the current pratice seems better wheelchair=yes
<type=of=vehicule>=designated

My wording was confusing - I tried to clean it up to not only reflect the
change from handicap to disabled but to make sure all segments use the same
format.

Check out the updated version of the proposal at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/access_aisle

Best,
Clifford

--