On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 9:35 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am Mi., 30. Okt. 2019 um 12:23 Uhr schrieb Jonathon Rossi <
> j...@jonorossi.com>:
>
>> +1 for traffic_sign=variable_message
>>
>> In many jurisdictions road users must obey messages on these signs,
>> including speed reductions (e.g. caused by weather), closed lanes (e.g.
>> crash), and closed motorway exits/detours.
>>

> of course these would all be clearly traffic signs, but signs like the one
> on the picture around here never show speed limits or access restrictions,
> they only show information (e.g. they might indicate that a road, bridge,
> exit etc. is closed, but as an pre-announcement, not as the actual access
> restriction which you will find at the spot where it applies), typically
> they show the current travel times to common points, or warn about
> accidents ahead, or say something general like "fasten your seatbelts", "we
> wish you a good drive" etc.

I didn't say these signs had to display messages that must be obeyed just
that they often do. There are plenty of painted advisory traffic/road
signs, e.g. letting you know there is an upcoming sharp corner, a ford,
that wildlife frequently cross an area, that the road gets narrow, and I'd
call all of these a traffic sign.

Wikipedia has: "Traffic signs or road signs are signs erected at the side
of or above roads to give instructions or provide information to road users"

OSM Wiki has: "Traffic signs give instructions or provide information to
road users. Some signs are only relevant at the place where they're mounted
(like e.g. a stop sign - called point-related signs from now on), while
others affect a section of the road (like e.g. a "no overtaking" sign -
called section-related signs)."

--
Jono