Am Mi., 20. Nov. 2019 um 14:51 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com>:

> Yes, they're retaining walls.  But, since they're made of earth (often
> visibly so), may be
> naively mapped as embankments by some.  A civil engineer may be able to
> infer, from
> the angle of repose, that they are reinforced but that is not obvious to a
> casual observer
> since the reinforcement is not visible.  Also, even though they're
> retaining walls, it may
> be that what they're retaining is more earth, making them look even more
> like
> embankments.

retaining walls are generally retaining earth / ground. It would be
impossible from those concrete clad reinforced earth ramps in the video to
deduct whether the concrete is just a cladding or is actually a retaining
wall or is a cladding for a retaining wall made of concrete (for example).

> I wouldn't want anyone to think, because of this discussion, that "made of
> earth" =
> "embankment."   However, many embankments (especially modern ones) may have
> steep angles of repose because reinforcing them means less material is
> needed
> and makes them cheaper.  The line is blurred.  In the end, it comes down
> to why
> the thing was built.

for a retaining wall, it does not matter why it was built, it matters how
it works.

Cheers
Martin