MARLIN LUKE wrote:
> Reading a thread like this honestly won't encourage any participation
> from outsiders (myself included)

With the best will in the world, I don't think it's productive or welcoming
to encourage outsiders to think that they should come into OSM and tell
everyone that 2 million users should stop using an intuitive, plain-English
tag that has been in use for over 10 years, entirely for abstruse, unproven
benefit.

OSM wants more participation from outsiders, absolutely. We want you to come
and map the world.

Starting a long involved discussion about not using the word "phone" to tag
phone numbers is not "mapping the world". It is distracting people,
newcomers included, from the task of mapping the world. It is distracting
developers from important work on making tools easier for newbie mappers. It
is, basically, Brandolini's law in action: "the amount of energy needed to
refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it".

Please participate. Please participate by _mapping_.

Richard

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html