This is missing the point.
I only want to point out that apparently roundtrip=yes without any
additional tagging is being used as meaning "this route is a loop" and
"round-trip=no" as meaning it's an A-to-b route. This should remain valid.
And let us consider how to cater for other cases.
Any retagging would mean a lot of manual work. I cannot see any simple way
(leaving out AI) to determine whether any given route is a loop or
something else.

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019, 11:27 Francesco Ansanelli, <franci...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And with existing tags how you describe it?
>
> Il sab 21 dic 2019, 10:28 Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
>> On 21/12/19 19:49, Francesco Ansanelli wrote:
>>
>> Dear Volker,
>>
>> I saw that someone went ahead and changed the wiki again:
>>
>> Use roundtrip=yes to indicate that start and end of a route are at the
>> same location.
>>
>> I think this new definition matches your idea of roundtrip and it's fine
>> for both definitions.
>> My last offer is to abandon the closed_loop tag in favour of:
>>
>> roundtrip:type=linear|circular
>>
>> Do you agree?
>>

>> No.
>>
>> "Type" means nothing. Perhaps roundtrip:route=*???
>>
>> As for the values .. you will need to define them!
>>
>> 'My' local bus route starts off with ways that are used both directions
>> .. and then separates into a loop where the segments are only used in one
>> direction.
>>
>> I could imaging routes that have several loops  used in one direction and
>> then ways that are used in both directions .. arrr there is another  route
>> that does that ...
>>
>> So what values will there be to cover complex cases???
>>

>> Francesco
>>

>> Il ven 20 dic 2019, 22:45 Volker Schmidt <vosc...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>>
>>> Please revert the roundtrip wiki change, but let's put any other
>>> wiki-changes on halt for a moment.
>>> What we need to do is to find out how the roundtrip tag is being used
>>> (the wiki is suposed to document the actual use, not what the use should
>>> be) and in particular if there is a more-than sporadic use of
>>> roundtrip=yes|no for anything else than loop=yes|no.
>>> It's difficult to get reliable quantitative results, but:
>>> A fast overpass turbo wizard query
>>> "type:relation and route=bicycle and roundtrip=yes in
>>> Italy|France|England|USA|Bayern"
>>> resulted in
>>> Italy: 58 lines with at best a handful of them not closed loops
>>> France: 358 lines with maybe 10 non-loops
>>> England:  25 lines, all loops.
>>> USA:  29, about 6 non-loops
>>> Bavaria 213, did not find any non-loops
>>> For me this is a strong indication that the large majority of all cycle
>>> route relations in these countries that have a roundrip=yes are in fact
>>> loops and that that this is the de-facto use of the tag.
>>> I think this is a strong case against any change.
>>>
>>> Taginfo points in the same direction
>>> 12665 roundtrip=no
>>> 21774 roundtrip=yes