I recently stumbled upon the tag wikimedia_commons see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:wikimedia_commons

Its definition is: "links to related Wikimedia Commons' media of the feature "

But, the only 2 examples contain no links (as in URL-links but instead file- and category names):

   wikimedia_commons=File:Bicycle crossing, Poland, Kraków, Josepha
   Conrada.JPG
wikimedia_commons=Category:St Paul, Birmingham I see in the database that a lot of image= tags contains direct urls to Wikimedia Commons.

I suggest we discuss changing the definition to:"File- or category name to related Wikimedia Commons' media of the feature "

Furthermore I would like to hear if anyone have any problems with mass re-tagging of all commons URLs in image and wikimedia_commons tags to the above format. I will keep the changesets per country or smaller.

There are currently ~58062 image= tags containing "wikimedia": https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/PWp

There are currently 37 wikimedia_commons tags that start with "http". https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/PWq

See also the discussion of introducing these formatting restraints in the JOSM validator:
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/18579

Regards

pangoSE

PS: IMO it is a good idea to clean this up to get an idea of how many of our features have some kind (and what kind) of image linked to them. I would like to see statistics about this that also tells me whether the wikidata item of some OSM feature has an image P18 property. PPS: I also suggested that we start rendering images on feature pages on openstreetmap.org, see https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/2515